Saturday, March 30, 2013

Incognito

For a whole host of reasons  I felt like going to Shabbat services  while I was on vacation. Part of me wanted to go, part of me needed to go.   I was hoping to surprise a long time classmate and friend.   So we went.   Beautiful campus, lovely building, nice crowd.  My classmate was on retreat with his staff.  The  Cantor lead the service.   The service started with a beautiful niggun,  a wordless melody.   Just what I needed.   A great exhale. I felt that sense of calm I so needed.   Doesn't matter where we are,  it's good to be part of a community.   Like I do at every service,  the cantor asked after lighting candles that we turn to the people around us and wish them a Shabbat shalom and introduce ourselves.   And so I did.  Not as a Rabbi but as Steven, a "jew in the pew".  It's so rare to be incognito.   Where no one knows who you are.   As I turned around to wish the family behind me a shabbbat shalom I saw it with my own eyes.  A father and two sons with prayer books perfectly balanced on their laps with their phones hidden inside.    My eyes caught the oldest son.   "Shabbat shalom" I said....."Kansas is winning  by 11" he said:  "I'm rooting for Michigan" I responded.  We smiled.   The service continued.     The service was beautiful.    A congregation that actually sang and participated.   The chapel was filled with holy music.  The family with Iphones sang every prayer, knew every melody.  Was this young man Elijah there on a mission ? How many 16 year olds do we get at services?   Why were their phones on?   The reality is that I see people check phones all the time during our services. Do people not realize how obvious it is?

I remember long before streaming games on smartphones when  the Chicago Bulls  made their run for 6 titles, the Senior rabbi who hired me, worked out a system with the ushers and security that they would give him updates from their transistor radio between quarters of the bulls playoffs games and then we would signal our friends who wanted  updates.  3rd quarter Bulls up by 4 entirely in hand motions.

As we paused for silent prayer I felt a tap on my shoulder.   "Game tied.....overtime."

I was just where I needed to be.   By the sermon slot Michigan had won.

I'm glad I turned off my phone at the start of the service because when I got to the parking lot, my phone was filled with emails, texts and calls  about a truly unbelievable moment of divine intervention.      I chuckled as I glanced at the words written on the service supplement handed out with the prayer books   " Surely God is in this place and I didnt know it." Followed by.  Please turn off your cell phones and pagers:

Sometimes it really fun to be incognito, just another "jew in the pew". Where no one knows who you are.

Remember:  Pray as if everything depends on God. Act as if everything depends on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment