Monday, April 1, 2013

New traditions



We all wear masks.. Sometimes they are just bigger and sometimes we hide behind them. Yesterday I wore a really big one. Like the size of a Bunny Rabbit. A 6 foot Bunny Rabbi. It began at a Glencoe Interfaith Clergy meeting last month. My friends and fellow Pastors, rabbis , reverends and priests all get together and meet on a regular basis. We get a lot done. We share a lot of laughs. We help each other out. We Pastor and Pester each other. Last month when talking about the upcoming holidays of Passover, Easter and Holy Week, the discussion turned to the Easter Bunny. Seems as if the Easter Bunny hadn’t made an appearance in Glencoe in quite some time. So I offered. No Religious School…. I wasn’t busy on Sunday.
My only stipulation was a full mask as I didn’t want anyone to actually see that it was
I found the perfect one on sale and on Easter Sunday I quickly got dressed in my office. I stopped to buy a basket and some candy. Church Services were over at 11:05 and I had a few minutes to kill so I stopped at the Local Starbucks I walked in and was embraced. Out came the cell phones and cameras of the locals….Many who were members of MY congregation. “Can we take a picture with you?” “We love the Easter Bunny?” Without saying a word , hiding behind my mask, and I must admit LMAO, I handed out candy, posed for pictures and simply brought smiles to many, many faces.
I hopped on over to the church and heard the organ blast out the closing song. I was ready. The Eggs were hidden and the families came running out in their Easter best. Several asked that I hold their babies, and Bless them. Other asked for family pictures. I passed out eggs and handed out candy and simply shared the spirit and joy that they felt at the moment.
I got back in my car and needed some more candy so I stopped at the Grocery Store. I said hello to the staff and greeted people as they entered. I wandered over to the candy aisle and took a few bags As they were ringing me up I wrote the manager a note.
No money I’m good for it…. I promise SHHH It’s me Rabbi Steve. The manager laughed and shook his head. I headed over to St Pauls AME where the choir was rocking out. I started dancing in the back. The Pastor invited me up. I handed out candy as I walked down the front. Norris asked me to say a few words….. I broke character and spoke I handed him some Peeps “We are all in this together” I said and I wished them a Blessed Easter. The cutest little guy came up to the front as I was walking away. I walked towards the baby and he ran away crying. Sometimes people really get scared when the see the masks that we wear.

I’d like to think that we improved Interfaith relations yesterday here in Glencoe with the appearance of the Easter Rabbit I mean Rabbi. I hope it's an annual tradition because I now own a bunny costume.








No comments:

Post a Comment